A 76-year-old man, who was being treated as a suspect to have contracted novel coronavirus (COVID-19), has died. If the tests come out to be positive, it would mark the country’s first fatality due to the deadly virus.
Mohammed Hussain Siddiq was being treated at a hospital in Kalaburagi, Karnataka, for showing symptoms like breathlessness, cold and cough.
Health department officials were quick to say that it was “false” to say that the death was due to COVID-19.
“His sample for Covid -19 has been collected and sent for testing. The media is requested to help the government in creating awareness and not creating panic,” according to a statement by a senior official at the Karnataka health department.
His sample was sent to Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute’s Virus Research and Diagnostic Laboratory. The lab has been told to test his throat swabs on priority.
Sharat. B, the Deputy Commissioner of Kalaburagi, said that it is yet to be determined if the death was due to the virus.
Siddiq was being treated for around three days when his family decided to take him to Hyderabad for further treatment.
“Symptomatic treatment was given to him, their family decided to shift to Hyderabad,” he said.
Sharat said that Siddiq died on his way back from Hyderabad in the ambulance last night. “His samples and blood have been taken and sent to National Institute of Virology, Bangalore. But reports have still not been received. It (death due to Covid-19) is not confirmed but only suspected,” he said.
Bengaluru has so far reported four positive cases and Siddiq was one of them, according to state health department information till Tuesday.